Inverarity, parish

Grid reference

NO 459 439 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

345900 743900

Latitude

56.584019712163496

Longitude

-2.8808616937465987

Nearby places

Meathie-Lour, former parish, Inverarity (1.48 miles)

Kirkbuddo, former parish, Inverarity (2.15 miles)

Kirkbuddo, eccles. Kirkbuddo, Inverarity (2.15 miles)

Lady Park, Inverarity (2.3 miles)

Kirbuddo, settlement Inverarity (2.62 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the old parish kirk (as recorded by NMRS) abandoned when a new site was created at NO452443 in 1754.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Kirkbuddo, former parish, Inverarity

Contains Meathie-Lour, former parish, Inverarity

Parish details

Inverarity including the medieval parishes of Kirkbuddo XKB (from 1891) and Meathie-Lour MHX.

Parish TLA

INY

County

Angus

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

Unappropriated in Bagimond, the church remained an independent parsonage in the patronage of the archbishops of St A. and the earls of Crawford per vices (Bag. p.37’ Thirds 167). Cowan 1967, 87. In 18th c. Kirkbuddo XKB was a detached part of Guthrie parish GUT, and remained so until 1891, when it was made part of Inverarity (Shennan 1892, 195 q.v. for definition of Kirkbuddo). INY includes medieval parishes of Kirkbuddo XKB and Meathie-Lour MHX.