Hutton (Magna), former parish, Hutton & Corrie

Grid reference

NY 170 908 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

317000 590800

Latitude

55.20442474102334

Longitude

-3.304317303560903

County

Dumfriesshire

Nearby places

Hutton (Magna) & Corrie, modern parish (0 miles)

Marygill Burn, Hutton & Corrie (1.03 miles)

Sibbaldbie, former parish, Applegarth (2.48 miles)

Dalmakethar, settlement, Applegarth (3.55 miles)

Mary's Cleugh, Dryfesdale/Applegarth (3.55 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

United to Corrie in 1609 (RPS 1609/4/35)

Relationships with other parishes

Within Hutton (Magna) & Corrie, modern parish

Within Hutton (Magna) & Corrie, modern parish

Parish details

Hutton (Magna) part of Hutton & Corrie HCR

Parish TLA

HTX

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

In origin a chapel of Sibbaldbie [now part of Applegarth APP DMF], frequent disputes took place between the chapel and its mother church, a mutual agreement finally being reached 1180x92 (Glasg. Reg. no.83). Before 1193, however, Adam lord of Hutton. with consent of Jocelin bp. of Glasgow, had granted the chapel to Jedburgh on condition that the church should become parochial, and that the canons should not enter into full rights until another presentation had been made to the benefice (ibid. nos. 78 & 81). In 1220 it is agreed that Glasgow cathedral to get Hutton as a prebend. For further controversies, see Cowan 1967, 84. Hutton and Corrie were united in 1609 (Rogerson 1908, 5 [Hutton Under the Muir]); the act uniting them states ‘... The kirkis of corrie and hwtoun the place of the kirk to be at hwtoun...’ 1609 APS iv, p. 441.