Hume, parish

Grid reference

NT 700 408 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

370000 640800

Latitude

55.65979993432212

Longitude

-2.4768853292693467

Nearby places

St Nicholas's Church, Hume (0 miles)

Stichill, parish (1.75 miles)

Nenthorn, parish (2.83 miles)

Ednam, parish (3.2 miles)

Greenlaw, parish (3.36 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Relationships with other places

Contains St Nicholas's Church, Hume

Parish TLA

HUM

County

Berwickshire

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

Granted to Kelso Abbey by Earl Gospatric c.1159, this was confirmed by successive earls of Dunbar, and to the uses of the abbey by Roger bp. of St A. 1188x1200. Kelso Liber nos. 71-3, 83, 287, 489). See Cowan 1967, 83 for more refs. and details. The parish of Hume HUM had a detached part situated on the n.w. border of the parish of Nenthorn NEN. In 1891 from Hume to Nenthorn were transferred: Mellerstain Home Farm (land). From Nenthorn to Hume was transferred: Hardie’s Mill Place (farm, part). Shennan 1892, 320. (O.S. 1 inch sheet 25).