Glasserton, parish

Grid reference

NX 421 380 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

242100 538000

Latitude

54.71208305747719

Longitude

-4.451367740065258

Nearby places

St Ninian's Cave, Glasserton (1.31 miles)

Whithorn, parish (2.02 miles)

Whithorn, eccles., Whithorn (2.02 miles)

Chapelheron, settlement, Whithorn (3.07 miles)

Kirkmaiden, eccles., XKM Glasserton (3.66 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for Glasserton parish church, in which two tenth-century carvings have been found.

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Kirkmaiden, former parish, XKM Glasserton

Parish details

Glasserton

Parish TLA

GLN

County

Wigtownshire

Medieval diocese

Galloway

Parish notes

Both parsonage and vicarage were annexed to the priory of Whithorn by c.1473 and continued to be so at the Reformation, the cure being a vicarage pensionary (RMS ii no. 1134; Acts and Dec. xix, 49; Deeds, xl, 205; Thirds 22; RSS lxiii, 111. Cowan 1967, 74. Glasserton GLN now includes the medieval parish of Kirkmaiden XKM, which shared the same boundaries as the barony of Monreith (see Brooke 1983, 63).