Grange, modern parish

Grid reference

NJ 480 515 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

348000 851500

Latitude

57.550848912850086

Longitude

-2.868973575254634

County

Banffshire

Nearby places

Lady Hill, Grange (0.06 miles)

Virgin Mary's Chapel, Grange (0.06 miles)

Lady Well, Grange (0.09 miles)

Kilbady, settlement, Grange (2.55 miles)

St Rufus Park, Keith (3.06 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The kirk was built in the seventeenth century on the site of the old Grange of the Cistercian monks of Kinloss. The names of nearby Lady Well and Lady Hill, together with Virgin Mary's Chapel, echo the former Cistercian conneciton.

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Grange, modern parish

Within Grange, modern parish

Within Keith, parish (formerly)

disjoined 1618

Relationships with other places

Contains Kate's Well, Grange

Contains Kilbady, settlement, Grange

Contains Lady Hill, Grange

Contains Lady Well, Grange

Contains Virgin Mary's Chapel, Grange

Parish details

Grange, till 1618 part of Keith KEH.

Parish TLA

GRG

County

Banffshire

Parish notes

In 1618 the parish of Grange GRG was created out of part of Keith KEH (Fasti, 314). It had two wells, one dedicated to Our Lady, the other to the Rood (ibid.).