Farr, parish

Grid reference

NC 714 622 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

271400 962200

Latitude

58.529240561915906

Longitude

-4.2087748112200005

Nearby places

St Columba's Chapel, Tongue (3.31 miles)

Coomb Island, Tongue (3.38 miles)

Loch ma Nàire, Farr (5.32 miles)

Meall Thailm, Tongue (5.85 miles)

Loch Chealamy, Farr (7.27 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the site of the old parish kirk, where an early medieval carved cross-slab stands.

Relationships with other places

Contains Cnoc Chealamy, Farr

Contains Coire Meall Chaluim, Farr

Contains Dùn Mhairtein, fort, Farr

Contains Loch Chealamy, Farr

Contains Loch Chealamy, Farr

Contains Loch ma Nàire, Farr

Parish details

Farr

Parish TLA

FRR

County

Sutherland

Medieval diocese

Caithness

Parish notes

Assigned as a common church of the four dignitaries of Dornoch cathedral in the constitution of Bp. Gilbert 1224x45, both parsonage and vicarage revenues were still held in common at the Reformation. See Cowan 1967, 65 for (a few)more details. Bann. Misc. iii, 18-19; see also OPS ii(2), 707-8. This parish included the present parishes of Tongue TNG and Farr FRR, and the part of the parish of Reay called Strathalladale, which lies within SUT. Strathalladale having been attached to Reay [REA [mainly in CAI] before 1245, the parish of Farr thenceforward included only the districts of Tongue (or Kintail) and Farr, or Strathnavar properly so called, being the country watered by the Melness, the Borgie, the Naver, and the Strathy. OPS ii (2), 707. The church appears to have always stood where the old kirk (built in 1774) stands today. There was a chapel at Kirkboll or Kirkiboll, the burial place of the family of Macky, which was standing and repaired c. 1630. (ibid. 708). The parish church of Tongue was built in 1680 about half a mile further north, was nearly rebuilt in 1731, was repaired in 1778, and seems still to be in use. The cemetery of the chapel, still used, lies at the village of Kirkiboll on the burn of Clachan (the Avon Kerkiboll of Blaeu), between which and the present churchyard is a portion of the glebe known locally as Eilean-tigh an tsagairt. ibid. 707. Various other chapels are mentioned. Ibid. 707. In 1386 Robert II granted to Ferchard Leche [=doctor] various islands along the coast (for a full list see ibid. 695 under Assynt), one of which was Elanenyefe = Ellen Comb (ibid. 709). [not in RMS i]. See also ibid. 704 (under Durness). Called ‘Island Comb’, a grassing belonging to the farm of Skerry, and with a chapel ‘evidently dedicated to St Columba’, traces of which remained at the end of the 18th c. (OSA quoted in OPS ii(2), 708). Also mentioned in Pennant and Geog. Coll..