Fowlis Easter, parish

Grid reference

NO 322 334 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

332200 733400

Latitude

56.48791552987042

Longitude

-3.101143745292908

Nearby places

St Marnock's Church, Fowlis Easter (0 miles)

Liff, former parish, Liff & Benvie (0.78 miles)

Liff & Benvie, parish (0.78 miles)

Ladyfield, Liff & Benvie (1.31 miles)

Benvie, former parish (Liff & Benvie) (1.32 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for late medieval church shown as St Marnock's Church on OS Digimap.

Relationships with other places

Contains St Marnock's Church, Fowlis Easter

Parish details

Fowlis Easter. The parish was in Perthshire until 1891, when it was moved into Forfarshire/Angus (Shennan 1892, 189). Fowlis Easter was joined to Lundie parish in 1618, but subsequently disunited again (ScotlandsPlaces).

Parish TLA

FOE

County

Angus

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

William de Maule, who reputedly was granted the lands of Foulis after the Battle of the Standard, gave his chapel of Foulis, which was apparently a pendicle of Rossie [REX, now INT], to the priory of St A. c.1163, it being confirmed to the canons in that year by Pope Alex. III (Panmure Reg. 80-1; St A. Lib. 55, 264-5). The grant was not immediately effective as the chapel continued to be served by a member of the family of Maule by whom a token payment was made to the priory (ibid. 40-1). At start of 13th c., however, the chapel was confirmed to the priory by Hugh Mortimer, in whose family the patronage now lay, and following upon this the church of Foulis was granted to the uses of the priory by Bp. William (1202x38). Provision was made for a suitable vicar, and the parsonage thereafter remained with the priory (ibid. 157, 255-6, etc.). See Cowan 1967, 70-1 for more refs. + 15th c. collegiate church. Until 1891 Fowlis Easter parish FOE was in PER, when the whole of the parish was transferred to ANG (for details see Shennan 1892, 189-90).