Eddrachilles, modern parish

Grid reference

NC 165 420 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

216500 942000

Latitude

58.32841076196494

Longitude

-5.134167062847065

Nearby places

Sgeir Thomais, Eddrachillis (2.15 miles)

Bealach Càrn Phadruig, Eddrachilles (2.24 miles)

Ruighean Thomais, Assynt (5.96 miles)

Doire Beathaig, Assynt (10.17 miles)

Assynt, parish (13.51 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Relationships with other places

Contains Bealach Càrn Phadruig, Eddrachilles

Contains Sgeir Thomais, Eddrachillis

Parish details

Eddrachilles formerly part of Lairg LAI & Durness DUS

Parish TLA

EDS

County

Sutherland

Parish notes

The old parish of Lairg LAI included the greater part of the district called Edderachylis, which with a smaller part of the same district belonging to the ancient parish of Durness [for which see below] was in 1724 erected into a separate charge. It included 2 districts - 1. Braechat, nearly the same as the present parish of Lairg, and subdivided into two by Loch Shin, the tract lying on the south of that loch forming the ancient barony of Gruids; and 2. Edderachylis, namely the portion of that district lying south of Loch Laxford. OPS ii pt 2, 697; 697-700. See esp. p.697 & note 4. The parish of Durness DUS included the district of West Moin between Loch Hope and Strathmelness, the davach of Eriboll between Loch Hope and Loch Eriboll, Durness proper (Dyrnes, Ardurnes), and the district of Parf, together forming the modern parish - and the districts of Ashir or Astlair (corruptly Old Shores) and Kerrugarbh (corruptly Kinlochbervie), attached to the modern parish of Eddrachilles EDS (for which see Lairg LAI). OPS ii pt 2, 701; 701-6.