Dunkeld - St Columba, former parish, DDA

Grid reference

NO 023 425 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

302300 742500

Latitude

56.564394358090766

Longitude

-3.5899931220326624

County

Perthshire

Nearby places

St Adamnan's Cottage, Dunkeld & Dowally (0 miles)

Dunkeld Holy Trinity, former psh. DDA (0 miles)

Church of the Holy Trinity, Dunkeld DDA (0 miles)

St Columba's Church, Dunkeld, DDA (0 miles)

St Ninian's Croft, Dunkeld & Dowally (0.14 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The NGR is for the cathedral church, into which St Columba's seems to have been subsumed. The parish was small, being wholly surrounded by Little Dunkeld.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Dunkeld & Dowally

Contains Dunkeld Holy Trinity, former psh. DDA (formerly)

Parish details

Dunkeld - St Columba; now part of Dunkeld & Dowally DDA

Parish TLA

DXK

Medieval diocese

Dunkeld

Parish notes

Note Cowan 1967 under Dunkeld-Holy Trinity & Dunkeld-St Columba, which former probably merged into latter in 13th c. (former last mentioned 1234). Rogers states that the situation of the parish of Dunkeld is rather obscure, quoting the OSA (xii, 316-17) that it was not extensive and that its bounds had never been defined properly, comprising only what had formerly been the city of Dunkeld. Rogers goes on to say that parochial service appears to have been conducted in the cathedral church, which succeeded the original St Columba’s. But the situation is further complicated by the existence of a further 12th c. church in Dunkeld dedicated to the Holy Trinity (1992, 389).