Dalton, aka Meikle Dalton, parish

Grid reference

NY 114 739 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

311400 573900

Latitude

55.051616110021904

Longitude

-3.3870175206830178

Nearby places

St Bridget's Chapel, Dalton (0.57 miles)

St Mungo Ford, St Mungo's / Dalton (1.24 miles)

St Mungo's Church, St Mungo (1.33 miles)

St Mungo, parish, aka Abermilk, Castlemilk (1.33 miles)

Dalton Parva, former parish, Dalton (1.61 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR given is for Dalton (aka Meikle Dalton) Old Parish Church, erected in 1704, but probably on the site of its medieval predecessor (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Dalton Parva, former parish, Dalton

Relationships with other places

Contains St Bridget's Chapel, Dalton

Contains St Mungo Ford, St Mungo's / Dalton

Parish details

Dalton formerly Dalton Magna, and including medieval parish of Dalton Parva or Little Dalton DTX.

Parish TLA

DTN

County

Dumfriesshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

A parsonage in Bagimond (p. 96), also known as Meikle Dalton, it remained unappropriated, its patronage passing in 1552 from Gilbert Greirson of Dalton to Lindsay of Barcloy (RMS iv no. 736). Cowan 1967, 45. 1609 APS iv, p. 441 Act for uniting certain kirks in Annandale. (Scots) On account of their poverty the said kirks adjacent to each other are to be united: ‘that is to say the kirkis of mekill daltoun/litill daltoun and mowswald The saidis thrie kirkis to be vnite in one place The place of resorting for heiring of the word etc. to be at litill daltoun;...’.