Dunscore, parish

Grid reference

NX 926 832 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

292600 583200

Latitude

55.13145239126048

Longitude

-3.684708919324418

Nearby places

St Cairpre's Church, Dunscore (0 miles)

Kirkpatrick, eccles, Kirkpatrick Irongray (2.4 miles)

Kirkpatrick Irongray, parish (K. Cro) KIG (2.4 miles)

Kirkpatrick, settlement, K. Irongray KIG (2.79 miles)

Holywood, parish, aka Dercongal (2.83 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the former parish kirk. It was abandoned c.1645 in favour of a site more central to the parish, but burials continued here thereafter(NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains St Cairpre's Church, Dunscore

Parish details

Dunscore

Parish TLA

DSC

County

Dumfriesshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

The church, which belonged to Holywood by 1257, was a source of contention between the canons and the monks of Melrose, who were granted lands in the parish by Affrica daughter of Edgar (1214x29) (Melr. Lib. nos. 199-202, 320-1). The compositions which took place in 1257 and 1264 allowed certain teinds to Melrose, but the church remained with Holywood (ibid. nos. 320-1; SHS Misc. v, 100). At the Reformation half the fruits pertained to Melrose, the residue apparently continuing with Holywood, one of the canons of which served the perpetual vicarage (Melrose Recs. iii, 202-11; PSAS xli, 333, no.54; Ass. 208). Cowan 1967, 55. Early (13th c.) record of the church of St Cairbre of Dunscore (Murchereach (sic) priest of St Carpre of Dunescor 13th c. Holyrood Lib. [quoted Watson 1926, 168]. The medieval parish kirk lay near the Nith, just south of Ellisland Farm.