Drumblade, parish

Grid reference

NJ 588 402 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

358800 840200

Latitude

57.45045455281863

Longitude

-2.686602761797537

Nearby places

Teller's Well, Drumblade (0.2 miles)

Brideswell, settlement Drumblade (0.88 miles)

Brideswell, ~well, Drumblade (0.88 miles)

Ladyscroft, settlement Forgue (1.34 miles)

Ninemaiden Chapel, Drumblade (1.87 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The NGR is for the parish kirk buyilt in 1773. The bellcote there is of 1641. The church is beside the parish boundary, marked by a burn, across which is the parisk kirk of Forglen.

Parish details

Drumblade

Parish TLA

DRU

County

Aberdeenshire

Medieval diocese

Aberdeen

Parish notes

One of the six pendicles of KINKELL (KKL KKX), the revenues of which appear in part to have pertained to the Knights Hospitallers at Torphichen in 14th c.. The six chapels or membra closely associated with Kinkell were: Drumblade, Dyce, Kemnay, Kinnellar, Kintore and Skene, the mother church accordingly being known as a plebanus (Abdn. Reg. ii 248, 253 [where called a 'plebania']; CPL vii, 208). Any link to the Hospt. came to an end with the erection of the church and its annexed chapels into a prebend of Aberdeen cathedral in 1420 (Abdn. Reg. ii 253). Both parsonage and vicarage continued to be annexed at the Reformation, the cure being served by a vicar pensioner maintained by the canon of Kinkell. Cowan 1967, 48. No changes noted in Shennan 1892.