Dalry, parish AYR

Grid reference

NS 280 480 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

228000 648000

Latitude

55.69492272718408

Longitude

-4.736961146446327

Nearby places

Kilcush, settlement Dalry (1.06 miles)

Cockenzie, settlement Dalry (1.8 miles)

Ladyside Hill, Dalry (2.08 miles)

Carwinning Hill, Dalry AYR (3 miles)

St Winnings Well, Kilwinning (3.3 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

The site at the NGR given as that of the kirk, near to ground called 'the old glebe'. It was replaced by a new kirk, and nothing survived of it by 1876 (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Carsphairn, modern parish (formerly)

Relationships with other places

Contains Carwinning Hill, Dalry AYR

Contains Cockenzie, settlement Dalry

Contains Kilcush, settlement Dalry

Contains Ladyside Hill, Dalry

Parish details

Dalry

Parish TLA

DLR

County

Ayrshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Claimed by Kilwinning Abbey as a chapel of Ardrossan in 1226, the abbot quitclaimed his right to the church which was to remain in the patronage of the bp. of Glasgow (Glasg. Reg. no.140). The parsonage was annexed to Kilwinning shortly before 1471, in which year the abbey supplicated for the union of the vicarage also. The attempted annexation was evidently unsuccessful. The vicarage remained independent until its erection into the provostry of Our Lady College, Glasgow 1532x42, the cure thereafter becoming a vicarage pensionary. See Cowan 1967, 44-5 for more [late medieval] references.