Dunfermline, parish

Grid reference

NT 089 874 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

308900 687400





Nearby places

St Catherine's Chapel, Dunfermline (0.06 miles)

St Catherine's Wynd, Dunfermline (0.06 miles)

Dunfermline Abbey, Trinity, Dunfermline (0.12 miles)

Lady's Mill, Dunfermline (0.38 miles)

Haly Blude Acres, Dunfermline (0.39 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?


Relationships with other parishes

Contains Rosyth, former parish, Dunfermline

Parish details


Parish TLA




Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

This is an extensive par., which was even more extensive in the medieval period. Shortly after 1643 certain lands were detached and given to the newly re-erected par. of Beath (BEA). These were Blairenbathie, Whitehouse, Woodend, Thornton, Cocklaw, Kelty Houses, Foulford, Lassodie, Meiklebeath, Dalbeath and Hill of Beath. At the same time Clune, Easter and Wester Luscar (probably including Bonnyton) and Pitdinnie were detached and given to Carnock (CNK) (Chalmers 1844 i, 7). A small part of DFL, which consisted of the lands of Moreland, lay in the county of Kinross. This anomalous situation must have arisen when that county was enlarged in 1685 to include Cleich (CLE), which had until then been part of Fife. By order of the Boundary Commmission these lands were annexed to CLE in 1891 (see Shennan 1892, 269). Also in 1891 a detached portion of Inverkeithing (IKG) comprising Logie and Urquhart, formerly in Rosyth (RHX), was made part of DFL, while North Queensferry, which had formed a detached portion of DFL, was made part of IKG. In 1914 the whole of what remained of RHX, which had been united to IKG in 1611, was attached to DFL for civil purposes, and it is these boundaries which appear on O.S. maps produced after that date. For more details see IKG Introductory Notes and Stephen 1921, 1-2. In the medieval period RHX belonged to the Diocese of Dunkeld, while both DFL and IKG belonged to St Andrews. For more details, see RHX Introductory Notes. For a lucid account of the early development of the burgh of Dunfermline, see Dunf. Ct. Bk. 14-17. For the onomastic evidence for an earlier religious foundation in or near Dunfermline before the time of Malcolm III and Margaret, see Pitbauchlie and Pitliver below. See also Taylor 1994 passim, especially 1-8.