Dalmellington, parish

Grid reference

NS 480 057 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

248000 605700

Latitude

55.32180884588439

Longitude

-4.395855803058776

Nearby places

Troston Knowe, Dalmellington (3.08 miles)

Kilmein, settlement, Dalrymple (3.62 miles)

Duncan's Spring, Dalrymple (3.88 miles)

Trostan Hill, Straiton (4.98 miles)

Lady Well, Carsphairn (5.02 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the site of the old kirk. Nothing remains of the old kirk, whose ruins were removed in the early nineteenth century. The mausoleum of the Craigengillan family stands here now.

Relationships with other places

Contains Troston Knowe, Dalmellington

Parish TLA

DAL

County

Ayrshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

The parsonage of Ayr had been erected into a prebend of Glasgow cathedral by 1327 and so continued, while the cure was a perpetual vicarage pensionary (Glas. Reg. no.276 [but no mention of Dalmellington] etc.). In 1501 the prebend and its pendicles, which were apparently: Alloway Coylton Dalmellington Dalrymple These were annexed to the Chapel Royal at Stirling, 6 prebends being subsequently created from their fruits, while the prebend within the cathedral of Glasgow continued to be maintained from certain residual fruits, the exact division of which remains obscure. See Cowan 1967, 12 for more details. After 1501 the fruits of the church of Dalmellington constituted the prebend of 'Ayr Tertio' within the collegiate church, while the cure itself was a vicarage perpetual. See Cowan 1967, 44.