Campsie, parish

Grid reference

NS 610 796 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

261000 679600

Latitude

55.98924365778222

Longitude

-4.228520813974359

Nearby places

St Machan's Church, Campsie (0 miles)

St Machan's Well, Campsie (0.06 miles)

Kilwinnet, settlement Campsie (0.47 miles)

Maryland, settlement Campsie (0.62 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, Craigbarnet, Campsie (1.29 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for OS Digimap 'St Machan's Church (remains of)'.

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Antermony, former parish, Campsie

Parish details

Campsie including Antermony AMX

Parish TLA

CPS

County

Stirlingshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Granted by David earl of Huntingdon to Kelso Abbey along with the church of Altermunin (Antermony) 1165 x 1189, grant to come into effect after the death of son of Ralph de Camera. Although confirmed by King William I and Bp. Jocelin of Glasgow, the grant was challenged by Alwyn earl of Lennox, who 1208x14 granted the church of Campsie (which by this time included church of Antermony as a chapel) to the bishopric of Glasgow. A composition took place in 1221, by which the abbot of Kelso quitclaimed his rights in the church, which had been already confirmed to the bp. of Glasgow by Pope Honorius III in 1216. Its revenues, both parsonage and vicarage, had been annexed to the chancellorship of Glasgow cathedral before 1266, while the cure was a vicarage portionary (Glas. Reg. nos. 111, 116; Kelso Lib. nos. 229-30). For more refs. see Cowan 1967, 26 (Campsie); also 6 (Altermunin). See also Stringer 1985, no.35. The medieval parish of Campsie included the lands of Kilsyth until 1649 [to check APS], when they were attached to the parish of Monyabroch. It was only after this date that the parish of Monyabroc, Monyaburgh etc. started being called Kilsyth[See Morag Cross’s work, 2001]. Note on St Machan Aberdeen Brev. ii fo.cxvi verso (28 Sept.) ‘Sancti machani confessoris et pontificis qui in campsi solenniter honoratur. On fo. cxvii recto, miracle told of him how he turned oxen stolen from him into stone.