Contin, parish

Grid reference

NH 456 557 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

245600 855700





Nearby places

St Maelrubha's Church, Contin (0 miles)

Preas Mairi, burial ground, Contin (0.26 miles)

Marybank, Urray (1.89 miles)

Kinnettes, former parish, Fodderty (2.1 miles)

Loch Caitrine, Fodderty (2.58 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?


Parish details


Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

Probably a prebend of Ross by 1227, when its holder may have been one of the undesignated canons subscribing to an episcopal agreement. It was certainly one in 1344 and so continued at the Reformation (Mor. Reg., no.65; CPL iii, 183 etc.). Cowan 1967, 35. The Aberdeen Brev., without giving the date, informs us that c.500 islanders invaded Ross, set fire to the church of Saint Malrube of Contan while the inhabitants were celebrating his anniversary (27 Aug. or 21 April), and by fire and sword destroyed about 100 men and women. The men of Ross, encouraged by the appearance of the deceased saint bearing a staff or crosier, attacked and defeated the Islanders, leaving scarce 30 of them alive. Abdn. Brev. Prop. SS pro temp. estiv., fo 90; see also OPS ii pt 2, 504-5. In 1891 the following subjects were transferred from Fodderty (FOD) to Contin (CON): Achanalt (inn and land; moor, forest, grazings, fishings, station and station-master’s house); Carnoch (schoolmaster’s house). [Strachconan Estate]: Auchlorachan (farm - part); Bridgend, Dalbreck, Dalnacroich, Fearn, Milltown, Porrin, Strathconan (home farm - part; woodlands, deer forest, grazings - part, and fishings). All therefore CON formerly FOD. See Shennan 1892, 135.