Comrie, parish

Grid reference

NN 772 220 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

277200 722000

Latitude

56.37441996878866

Longitude

-3.988576230319416

Nearby places

Tullichettle, former parish, Comrie (1.46 miles)

St Serf's Church, Tullichettle, Comrie (1.52 miles)

Dalchonzie, settlement Comrie (1.87 miles)

St Patrick's, settlement Muthill (2.81 miles)

St Patrick's Well, Muthill (2.88 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Tullichettle, former parish, Comrie

mainly

Parish TLA

COM

County

Perthshire

Medieval diocese

Dunblane

Parish notes

The parsonage was a prebend of Dunblane cathedral by 1535, while the bishop apparently held one quarter of its fruits in accordance with an agreement of 1237 (SRO GRH Chrs. no.1105; RSS iv no.2914; Burnett Stuart Coll. no.25; Assumptions 297; Vet. Mon. no.xci). The vicarage at the Reformation was held with the provostry of Innerpeffray, but as far as can be seen this was purely a personal union (Ass. 312; Thirds 15; RSS lxx 5). Cowan 1967, 34-5. Local tradition asserts that the kirk was dedicated to Kessog (see J.M. Mackinlay ‘St Kessog and his cultus in Scotland’ Glasgow Archaeolog. Soc. Transactions New Series 3 (1899), 347-59, p.357. Note Tom-na-chessaig (ibid.).- NN773220 (Redford 1988, 152). ? Same as St Cessog’s Mound, near river (see Redford 1988, 152). In 1891, detached parts of Monzievaird & Strowan were transferred to Comrie including Meiggar, Cultybraggan (part of farm), Drumchork, Milntuim etc. See Shennan 1892, 208 for details. Also a detached part of Muthill was transferred to Comrie viz. Cowden & Mill of Fortune. See Shennan 1892, 209 for details.