Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NO 083 399 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
St Anthony's Chapel, Little Dunkeld (0.75 miles)
Clunie, parish (3.01 miles)
Auchtergaven, parish (3.04 miles)
Inchewan, settlement Little Dunkeld (3.06 miles)
St Catherine's Land, Lethendy (3.14 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
NGR for the modern parish kirk, which replaced its predecessor on the 'Mute Hill'.
Relationships with other parishes
Contains Dowally, former parish, Dunkeld & Dowally (formerly)
Within Little Dunkeld, parish (formerly)
Caputh was created out of Little Dunkeld in the early 16th century. Shortly afterwards, the northern (Gaelic-speaking) part of Caputh was separated to form the new parish of Dowally.
‘The parish then called Litill Dunkeld was large and scattered, sixteen miles in length. it was therefore divided [by Bishop George Broun shortly after 1500]. The old parish church of Litill Dunkeld was allowed to stand [on s. bank of Tay, opposite Dunkeld]; and the bishop set up another at Capeth, where he built and adorned the choir at his own expense. There was a painted reredos: glass was put in the windows: a small vicarage annexed to the bishopric was assigned to the vicar for his support, with the hill (commonly called, hitherto, Mwtehill) on which he set the church, and fouracres for glebe ...’ There follows an account of a miracle of St Columba in Caputh during the plague of 1500 (Dunk. Rent. 312-3).... Later the bishop, considering that the population in these parishes had increased, and that in the upper parts of the parish of Capeth Irish was spoken, he therefore built and endowed, in honour of St Anne, a parish church among the woods in his church land of Dowaly, assigning a manse for the priest, as the formal writ fully testifies.’ (Myln, Vitae in Dunk. Rent. 312-3). Cowan (1967, 27) states that the prebend of Caputh appears to have been founded on lands and not upon teinds (CPP i, 584; Ass. 318 (= Ass. 300v). Note that it is not listed as a parish c.1300 in Atlas 1996.
Names1 head-name linked to this place ?
Is this a current OS form? ?
Certainty that this name applies to this place
Date of citation
1560 x 1570
Feature named in source
The Books of Assumption of the Thirds of Benefices: Scottish Ecclesiastical Rentals at the Reformation
Records of Social and Economic History, New Series, 21