Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
Convinth, former parish, Kiltarlity and C.
NH 512 375 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
Kiltarlity, settlement, K & Convinth (2.52 miles)
Kilbreni, ~eccles. Kiltarlity and Convinth (3.49 miles)
Kilbreni, settlement, Kiltarlity & Convinth (3.49 miles)
Bona, former parish (3.96 miles)
Killianan, settlement Inverness & Bona (3.96 miles)
Parish (non-extant in 1975)
Is linear feature?
Relationships with other parishes
Relationships with other places
Convinth part of Kiltarlity (KXT) & Convinth KCV. United c. 1500 (Fasti. 468).
The patronage of the church was ceded, after a composition with Brice bishop of Moray, to John Bisset (1203x21) and was apparently granted by him shortly after this to the priory of Beauly (Mor. Reg. nos. 21, 51). The vicarage was united to Wardlaw WLX KIH c.1330 and was still so united in 1430. It appears to have been disjoined thereafter, the vicarage retaining its independence, while the parsonage continued with the priory. Cowan 1967, 35. Moray Reg. no. 51 (dated ibid. vii 1206x21, but dated by Watt, Grad. under Moravia/Edward shortly before Oct. 1221) records in detail the settlement of the above-mentioned dispute between Bishop Brice and John Bisset anent the advocation of the churches of Cunewy (Convinth) and Dulbathlach (Dunballoch, later Wardlaw). According to this charter the church of Convinth had assigned to it on the authority of the bishop 11 davochs viz Gulsackyn (Guisachan), Buntach (Bunait), Herkele (Erchless), Cumber (Comar), Coneway (Convinth), made up of two davochs (‘dauache’), Brutach (Bruiach), Muy and the other Muy (the two Moys also known as Ardrannich), Dunyn (Dounie), and Fothenes (Phoineas). Convinth had dependent chapels at Comar in Strathglass (for which see Cowan 1967, 34) and on the lands of Guisachan, for more details of which see Achadh na h-Eaglaise. Both these sites are now in the parish of Kiltarlity & Convinth. For the suggestion that the parish kirk of Convinth may have once been dedicated to St Sciath, an early Munster saint also commemorated in Angus (Watson 1926, 331-2), see Culnaskiach KCV. There is some evidence also of a local cult of St Comgan (Coan), by whom Lord Lovat's shepherd 'in the Muyes' (Ardrannich) swears (see Wardlaw MS, 164), and this may be reflected in the place-name Uaigh Gillechunne ('Gillechunn(e)'s grave'), which appears on OS 6 inch 1st edition attached to the site of a stone coffin containing two urns found in 1763 in a field north of Tomnacross (and beside Ardrannich). Gillechunne might represent a form of Gillecomgain 'servant or devotee of St Comgan'. For more on Comgan, who was closely associated with the Loch Duich area of Wester Ross, see Watson 1926, 281and Taylor 2001, 182-3. The present parish kirk of Kiltarlity and Convinth is at Tomnacross, formerly in Convinth parish. Kiltarlity and Convinth parishes were united c. 1500 (Fasti. 468), and the parish today is usually referred to simply as Kiltarlity. In 1891 Easter, Mid & Wester Crochiel, and Inchully, were transferred from KLO to KCV (Shennan 1892, 150).