Ceres, parish

Grid reference

NO 399 117 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

339900 711700

Latitude

56.294010906579956

Longitude

-2.971134661631539

Nearby places

St Ann's Well, Ceres (0.43 miles)

St Ann's Bleachfield, Ceres (0.57 miles)

St Catherine's Haugh, Cupar (2.11 miles)

St Michael's Church, Tarvit, Cupar (2.13 miles)

St Michael's Hill, Tarvit, Cupar (2.13 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for Ceres Parish Kirk built in 1806 on the site of an earlier building. A twelfth-century crucifix was found in the kirkyard, given to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland in 1883.

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Tarvit, former parish, Cupar x Ceres

partly

Relationships with other places

Contains St Ann's Bleachfield, Ceres

Contains St Ann's Well, Ceres

Parish details

Ceres

Parish TLA

CER

County

Fife

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

The church was annexed to the provostry of the Collegiate Church of St Mary on the Rock, St Andrews. This connection went back to the collegiate church's predecessor, the Céli Dé establishment on that site. The Céli Dé were probably the original managers of the shrine of St Andrew, and pilgrimages to it, which passed through Ceres.