Closeburn, parish

Grid reference

NX 903 923 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

290300 592300

Latitude

55.21269290390682

Longitude

-3.7242950425437225

Nearby places

Killosbern, eccles., Closeburn (0 miles)

Closeburn, settlement, Closeburn (0.36 miles)

Kirkpatrick, settlement, Closeburn (1.14 miles)

St Patrick's Chapel, Kilpatrick Closeburn (1.18 miles)

St Ninian's Well, Dalgarnock, Closeburn (1.86 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the former parish church, rebuilt in 1741, incorporating remains of its predecessor, including Norman fragments; also a tenth-century Anglian cross-shaft (now in Dumfries Museum) and a grave-slab of similar date (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Dalgarnock, former parish, Closeburn

Parish details

Closeburn includes Dalgarnock DGX

Parish TLA

CLO

County

Dumfriesshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Granted to Kelso Abbey by Edgar son of Donald (Dofnald) c.1200, it was confirmed to the uses of the abbey by Bp. Walter of Glasgow in 1232. A controversy between the abbey and the family of Kirkpatrick resulted in favour of the monks, who in 1281 set both parsonage and vicarage revenues (Kelso Lib. nos. 279, 340-43). These revenues continued with the abbey, although they were devoted to the uses of the cell of Lesmahagow. A curate apparently served cure (Ass. 241, 247v; RSS v no. 871). Cowan 1967, 32. It was united with the parish of Dalgarnock DGX in the 17th century, apparently for reasons of Closeburn’s poverty (‘Closburne is but a mean paroche not able to furnische a competent stipend to a Minister by itselff, and .. the other kirk of Dalgarno is a great and spacious paroche’ 1628 Reports 32). For the dedication (to Osbern or the like), see Watson 1926, 167. For details of parish of Dalgarno and Closburne in 1627 + 1648 proposal to disjoin, see Reports 30-32.