Cumbrae, parish

Grid reference

NS 157 551 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

215700 655100





Nearby places

St Colm's Kirk, Cumbrae (0 miles)

St Andrew's Chapel, episc. Cumbrae (0.43 miles)

Ninian Brae, Cumbrae (1.22 miles)

Ballochmartin, settlement Cumbrae (1.67 miles)

St Vey's Chapel, Cumbrae (2.14 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)


NGR is for the site of the church built in 1802, on the site of a church built in 1612, which had replaced "ane kirk callit Sanct Colmis Kirke". A fine collection of early Christian stones have been found at the site (NMRS). In spite of the antiquity of this site, the Cumbraes were not an independent parish until quite late in the Middle Ages. During the fourteenth century it was often referred to as a chapel of Largs (Paisley Reg. 238; 239; 241 [papal confirmation of 1381];242-3 [papal confirmation of 1387]. By 1549 Dean Monro could refer to it as 'Sanct Colmis kirke', presumably implying that it was a parish by this time. It was certainly a parish by the Reformation, and it appears as 'Kirk of Cumray' in Assumption 528.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Largs, parish (formerly)

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese