Benholm, parish

Grid reference

NO 804 692 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

380400 769200

Latitude

56.81403940958166

Longitude

-2.3210772430639666

Nearby places

Catties Well, Benholm (0.12 miles)

Marnywell, settlement Benholm (1.12 miles)

Balandro, St Cyrus (1.51 miles)

Johnshaven, Benholm (1.56 miles)

St Martin's Land, Bervie (2.37 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for the parish church on medieval site, taken down in 1832, but described by OSA in 1890s. The church is referred to in the twentieth century as St Marnoch's Church, and this is the name given to the place by NMRS, but no authority is cited for this name other than Scott's Fasti - not a reliable source of information. Mackinlay (1914, 75) also assigns the church to the patronage of St Marnock, but appears to do so on the basis of the existence of Marny's Well, which is in the parish. In any case, in the absence of any earlier reference to St Marnoch as the patron of the kirk, we cannot accept it with any confidence.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains Catties Well, Benholm

Contains Catties Well, Benholm

Contains Johnshaven, Benholm

Contains Marnywell, settlement Benholm

Parish TLA

BEN

County

Kincardineshire

Medieval diocese

St Andrews