Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NX 651 791 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
Lady's Well, Balmaclellan (0.71 miles)
Kells, parish (1.28 miles)
Giles's Hill, settlment, Kells (1.62 miles)
St John's Chair, Dalry KCB (2.11 miles)
St John's Town of Dalry, Dalry KCB (2.39 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
NGR for parish kirk. No indication of medieval remains.
Relationships with other places
Contains Lady's Well, Balmaclellan
Balmaclellan formerly Trevercarcou
The church was appropriated to Dundrennan abbey by Thomas bp. of Whithorn 1450x54, but this appears to have been non-effective (CPL x, 156). In 1501 on the erection of Chapel Royal at Stirling, the church was annexed as a prebend. See Cowan for more details. Cowan 1967, 13. Appears as the church of Treuercarcou in Bagimond (1275, p.74) where Dunlop identifies it with Troqueer. But Bagimond places Treuercarcou in Galloway diocese, Glenken deanery, whereas Troqueer is in Glasgow diocese, Nithsdale Deanery. The identificaion of Balmaclellan and Trevercarcou is made by D. Brooke (e.g. 1996, 116) and in Atlas (1996, 357). Note that while the New Atlas places this parish in Glenken deanery, Cowan 1967 has Glenken/Desnes.
Names1 head-name linked to this place ?
Is this a current OS form? ?
Certainty that this name applies to this place
Date of citation
1560 x 1570
The Books of Assumption of the Thirds of Benefices: Scottish Ecclesiastical Rentals at the Reformation
Records of Social and Economic History, New Series, 21