Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NT 927 609 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
St Dionysius's Church, Ayton (0 miles)
St Abb's Well, Ayton (0.4 miles)
St Johns, settlement Foulden (2.17 miles)
Eyemouth, modern parish (2.19 miles)
Foulden, parish (3.23 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
NGR for OS Digimap 'St Dionysius' Church', Aytoun Old Parish Church.
The lands of Ayton were granted to Durham early 12th c., shortly after which a chapel was erected which was dependent on the church of Coldingham. As a pendicle of Coldingham the church remained annexed to the priory, which in turn was dependent on Durham and then on Dunfermline. The church would appear to have had no separate parochial existence before the Reformation, although it may have possessed certain parochial rights. Cowan 1967, 12. But note that Ayton appears as a separate church c. 1250 St A. Lib. 31. Not mentioned in Shennan 1892.