Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NO 522 555 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
Oathlaw, parish, aka Finavon (1.41 miles)
Rescobie, parish (2.32 miles)
St Mary's Well, Oathlaw (2.89 miles)
St Ninian's Loch, Aberlemno (2.94 miles)
Careston, modern parish (3 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
NGR for parish kirk; Pictish stones at and near site, suggesting that the modern building (1772) is the latest in an ancient series of ecclesiastical developments.
Relationships with other places
Contains St Ninian's Loch, Aberlemno
Aberlemno now including Auldbar ALX
Granted to Jedburgh Abbey c.1242 (St A. Lib. xxviii, no.41), the parsonage revenues appear to have been devoted to the use of the dependent cell of Restenneth by at least the 15th c. (Warden, ii 288; Assumptions 218). Cowan 1967, 3. It has been suggested that Aberlemno represents the lost site of Egglespether (see Atkinson & Henry 1997, 8-9). At least part of the medieval parish of Auldbar ALX seems to have been incorporated into ABL after the Reformation. Not mentioned in Shennan 1892.