Drainie, parish, aka Kinneddar

Grid reference

NJ 223 696 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

322300 869600

Latitude

57.709721841603326

Longitude

-3.304155616335107

County

Morayshire

Nearby places

Michael Kirk, Ogston, Drainie (1.97 miles)

Ogston, former parish, Drainie (1.97 miles)

Holy Trinity Church, Spynie (2.63 miles)

Spynie, parish (2.63 miles)

St Lawrence's Well, well, Duffus (3.07 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Drainie, parish, aka Kinneddar

Within Drainie, parish, aka Kinneddar

Contains Ogston, former parish, Drainie

Relationships with other places

Contains Michael Kirk, Ogston, Drainie

Contains Michael Kirk, Ogston, Drainie

Parish details

Kinneddar now known as Drainie DRA, includes the former parish of Ogston

Parish TLA

DRA

County

Morayshire

Medieval diocese

Moray

Parish notes

Composed of the medieval parishes of Kinneddar and Ogston. Before the cathedral church of Moray became fixed at Spynie, the church of Kinneddar was where the bishops had their seat. Large number of fragments of early carved crosses etc. found around manse etc. [i.e. at site of old kirk of Kinneddar]. Nothing is known of the early history of the locality which suggests any explanation of the great accumulation of sculptured stones at this spot. St Gernadius.. had an oratory or penance cell in the neighbourhood - apparently ‘in a cavern behind the village of Lossiemouth’ + St Gerardine’s Well nearby. A Survey of the Province of Moray, Aberdeen 1798, 122, quoted in Stuart, Sculptured Stones, 40. Granted by Simon bp. of Moray to the priory of St Andrews 1171x83, the church was confirmed to the priory by Pope Lucius III in 1183 and by subsequent popes till 1248. This, however, was apparently no more than common form, the church having been assigned, along with that of Essil, as the prebend of the treasurer of Moray in the constitution of Bp. Brice 1208x15 (St A. Lib. 59, 64, 69, 73, 78, 100; Mor. Reg. no.46). The parsonage revenues remained so conjoined at the reformation, while the cure was a vicarage perpetual. Cowan 1967, 114. United with Ogston before about 1666, when the united parish kirk was built at Drainie, whence the modern parish takes its name. The manse and glebe, however, remained at Kinneddar, about a mile eastward of the church.