Kirkhill, Wardlaw (=Dunballoch) parish

Grid reference

NH 524 449 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

252400 844900

Latitude

57.47052759433829

Longitude

-4.461413703964312

Nearby places

St Maurice's Chapel, Kirkhill (0.06 miles)

Beauly Priory, St Durstan's, Kilmorack (0.95 miles)

Mary Well, Kirkhill (0.99 miles)

St Mary's Church, Beauly, Kilmorack (1.07 miles)

Cnoc Mhuire, Wardlaw, Kirkhill (1.55 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The earlier site of the parish kirk was at Dunballoch at the NGR given above. The parish centre was moved to Wardlaw (NH549456) around the year 1220, giving the parish a new name (Mor. Reg. nos. 21 and 51). Farnway was united to Wardlaw in 1618, though Rev. James Fraser states that the union occurred in 1614 (Wardlaw MS, 186)). The parish kirk of the new united parish remained on the Ward Law, moving in 1790 from its medieval site to its present site nearby.

Relationships with other places

Contains Cnoc Mhuire, Wardlaw, Kirkhill

Contains St Mary's Church, Kirkhill

Parish kirk at Wardlaw

Contains St Maurice's Chapel, Kirkhill

Parish details

Dunballoch, later Wardlaw, now part of Kirkhill KIH, q.v.

Parish TLA

WLX

Parish notes

Wardlaw WLX church stood originally at Dunballoch (NH524449). Early in the 13th century it was transferred to a hillock then called Balcabrach, which was the Ward-law or Watch-hill for the Lovats. The site of this church was abandoned in 1790, and is marked by the Lovat Mausoleum (Fasti 471). It was dedicated to St Mary, and the hill on which Wardlaw kirk built is known in G as Cnoc Mhuire (Fasti 471). For more details of the veneration of St Mary at Kirkhill, see Cnoc Mhuire KIH. The transfer of the church of Dunballoch (Dulbathlach) to Wardlaw on the lands of Fingask is mentioned in a charter of 1221 (Moray Reg. no.51, dated by Watt, Grad. under Moravia/Edward shortly before Oct. 1221). It records a dispute between Bishop Brice of Moray and John Bisset anent the advocation of churches of Cunewy (Convinth) and Dulbathlach (Dunballoch), and lists the names of 9 davochs assigned to the church of Dunballoch on the authority of the bishop. These are Fyngassy (Fingask), Morevayn (? Lovat, for which see A’ Mhormhoich), Lusnecorn (for which see Lusnatorn), Monychoc and the other Monychoc (Moniack), and the three davochs of Ferc’ (q.v.). It also records John Bisset’s grant in perpetual alms to the church of Dulbatalach of 7 acres of land in a suitable place near to the parish church of Dulbathlach when it has been moved to Fingassy (Fingask) to the place which is called Wardelaue in Gaelic (‘scotice’) Balcabrac (for which see Cabrich KIH). Following upon this agreement, by which Bisset was confirmed in the advocation of the church of Convinth, while resigning his rights in the church of Dunballoch to Bishop Brice, this latter church was confirmed to the episcopal mensa by a papal legate, James canon of St Victor c.1221 and by Pope Honorius III in 1222 (Moray Reg. nos.22, 56). A vicarage had been erected by 1274, but it was so impoverished that it had been united to that of Convinth c.1330, and was still so a century later. It appears to have been disjoined thereafter, but the vicarage at the Reformation was possibly pensionary, the remaining revenues continuing with the bps. of Moray (Bagimond’s Roll, 46; RS 251, 274v; Thirds of Benifices 5; RSS lxiii, 147). Cowan 1967, 206-7. Wardlaw was united with Farnway to form the parish of Kirkhill in 1618 (Wardlaw MS, Introduction, xv; also Fasti 471, which gives the date of the union as 14 July 1618; there is nothing in APS about this union, while Rev. James Fraser states that the union occurred in 1614 (Wardlaw MS, 186)). The parish kirk of the new united parish remained on the Ward Law, moving in 1790 from its medieval site to its present site nearby.