Tarradale, former parish, aka Kilchrist, Urray

Grid reference

NH 538 492 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

253800 849200

Latitude

57.50957527273914

Longitude

-4.4406660436170755

County

Ross-shire

Nearby places

Kilchrist, eccles., formerly Tarradale, Urray (0 miles)

Gilchrist, settlement, Tarradale, Urray (0.06 miles)

St Mary's Church, Beauly, Kilmorack (1.75 miles)

Beauly Priory, St Durstan's, Kilmorack (1.87 miles)

St Mary's Church, Kirkhill (2.28 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for OS 'Old Church of Kilchrist'.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Urray, parish

Parish details

Tarradale or Kilchrist now part of Urray URY (united in 1574).

Parish TLA

TDX

Medieval diocese

Ross

Parish notes

The church of the medieval parish stood at Kilchrist (from Kilchrist). Also known as Cill Chriosd or Tarradale, the teinds were in dispute between the then rector and Beauly in 1274, the latter being granted certain teinds for 8 years (Beauly Chrs. cited OPS II ii, 522-3). But the church does not seem to have been appropriated. In 1372 William e. of Ross is reputed to have granted it to Fearn, but also no sign that this was effective. At Reformation the parsonage is shown to have been a prebend of Ross from some unknown date (see OPS II, ii, 523; RSS, li 90) - Cowan 1967, 98 (Kilchrist).