Minnigaff, parish KCB

Grid reference

NX 410 665 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

241000 566500

Latitude

54.96763996166061

Longitude

-4.484103863355067

Nearby places

Torrwhinnoch Hill, Minnigaff (0.98 miles)

St Ninian's Well, Penninghame (2.46 miles)

St Ninian's Creek, Penninghame (2.47 miles)

St Ninian's Chapel, Penninghame (3.26 miles)

Penninghame, parish (3.29 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the old kirk of Minnigaff, where two twelfth-century cross-slabs have been found (NRMS).

Relationships with other places

Contains Kirkennan, ~eccles., Minnigaff

Contains Kirkennan, settlement, Minnigaff

Contains Torrwhinnoch Hill, Minnigaff

Parish details

Minnigaff, formerly also known as Awengalceway etc.

Parish TLA

MGF

County

Kirkcudbrightshire

Medieval diocese

Galloway

Parish notes

Annexed to Tongland Abbey by 1471, when the church was recorded as being governed by a canon of that house, the original appropriation would appear to precede 1274, as the church does not appear in Bag. (CPL xiii, 295). The parsonage remained annexed to the abbey, by then annexed to the bishopric of Galloway, at the Reformation, while the cure, although an independent vicarage, was still held in the 16th c. by canons regular (see APS iv, 308). See Cowan 1967, 148 for more references.