St Martins, parish (alias Megginch)

Grid reference

NO 154 303 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

315400 730300





Nearby places

St Martins Church, St Martins (0 miles)

St Martin's Abbey, St Martins (0.33 miles)

St Martins Mill, St Martins (0.42 miles)

St Martins Burn, St Martins (0.83 miles)

Cambusmichael Burn, St Martin's (1.36 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?


Relationships with other parishes

Contains Cambusmichael, former parish, St Martins

Parish details

St Martins formerly Melginch; includes Cambusmichael CMX

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

The medieval parish of St Martins or Melginch was based on the feudal holding later known as the barony of Melginch, comprising St Martin’s kirk, kirklands of Abbey and Petfrethen, the toun of Melginch and the dependent settlements of Drumcrok [unident.], Cairnbeddie, Balgray, Balhill, Pitskelly, Auchmagee and the mill of Melginch. It did not include Friarton, Gairdrum and Boghall: these were annexed to SMA from Scone SCE 1646 x 1650 (Rogers 1992, 178-9). John bishop of Dunkeld granted the church of Melginch (Melginche) to Holyrood Abbey ‘cum terra que scotice uocatur Abthen et cum terra que uocatur Petfrethin [not Pitreddie, which is in fact Pitroddie, Kilspindie, pace Barrow RRS ii p. 316; see Rogers 1992, 201 note 255], que iacet ex occidentali parte ecclesie de Melginche’. This grant is known only through the royal confirmation charter quoted here 1189 x 1195 (RRS ii no. 297). In the late 17th c. it was united with the parish of Cambusmichael CMX.