Wemyss, parish

Grid reference

NT 341 967 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

334100 696700

Latitude

56.158482558765535

Longitude

-3.0611064378353072

Nearby places

St Mary's Church, Wemyss (0.06 miles)

Methil, former parish, Wemyss (2.64 miles)

St Serf's Hill, Dysart KDT (3.2 miles)

St Serf's Cave, Dysart KDT (3.29 miles)

St Dennis Chapel, doubtful Dysart KDT (3.33 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Methil, former parish, Wemyss

Relationships with other places

Contains St Mary's Church, Wemyss

Parish details

Wemyss

Parish TLA

WMS

County

Fife

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

The modern parish of Wemyss WMS consists of the medieval parishes of Wemyss and Methil MEX, both of which lay in the deanery of Fothrif, diocese of St Andrews. Shortly after the Reformation Methil MEX was dissolved, for details of which see MEX. In 1891 a detached part of Markinch MAI, which consisted of Dubbyside or Innerleven, was annexed to its neighbour WMS (see Shennan 1892, 262-3; see also MEX). The par. church of Wemyss was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, a dedication first mentioned c.1239, when the church was granted to Soutra hospital ELO by John of Methil, a son of Michael of Wemyss (Midl. Chrs. (Soutra) no.14). When Soutra was annexed to Trinity College, Edinburgh, in 1460, the patronage and revenues were transferred with it (Cowan 1967, under Wemyss). As with the church of Kirkcaldy, the church of Wemyss appears to have originally been subordinate to the church of Dysart, since even after Wemyss church was granted to Soutra it owed an annual 'pension' to Dysart (Midl. Chrs. (Soutra) no.40). We get a glimpse here of a pre-12th c. arrangement, with Dysart as a mother-church serving several surrounding churches (see Cowan 1961, especially 44-5). The marches of the kirkland of Wemyss are given in a charter dated 1321x27 (Midl. Chrs. (Soutra) no.54). The ecclesiastical centre of WMS lay in what is today East Wemyss, with the site of the medieval par. kirk beside the harbour marked by an early 16th c. church and graveyard (see Gifford 1988, 203).