West Calder, modern parish

Grid reference

NT 017 630 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

301700 663000

Latitude

55.8501994331544

Longitude

-3.570290529934276

Nearby places

Livingston, parish (2.66 miles)

Pate's Hill, West Calder (2.88 miles)

Bathgate, parish (3.61 miles)

Lady Well, Livingston (3.62 miles)

Ladywell, settlement Mid Calder (3.75 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Prior to 1647, this was part of the parish of Mid Calder (then known as Calder Comitis, Earl's Calder). There was a chapel, whose existence and location gave rise to the name Chapelton, which helped serve the needs of the area (OSA xviii, 195).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Mid Calder, parish, aka Calder Comitis (formerly)

Relationships with other places

Contains Pate's Hill, West Calder

Parish details

West Calder created out of Mid Calder (aka Calder-Comitis) in 1647.

Parish TLA

WCA

County

Midlothian