Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NH 508 525 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
Marybank, Urray (1.94 miles)
Logiebride, eccles. LWX, Logie-Wester (1.94 miles)
Logie Wester, former parish, aka Logie Bride, ULW (1.94 miles)
Loch Caitrine, Fodderty (2.51 miles)
Kilchrist, eccles., formerly Tarradale, Urray (2.77 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
Is linear feature?
Relationships with other parishes
Relationships with other places
Contains Doire Mhurchaidh, Urray
Contains Marybank, Urray
Complex parish: consists of 3 medieval parishes viz, Inverferan, Loch Bron and Tarradale (Kilchrist) (TDX). Either I. or L.B. is what was later known as Fairburn (see Watson 1904, 105). ‘Also known as Bron or Lochbron, the parsonage, along with that of Inverferan, was assigned to the sub-chanter of Ross in the re-constitution of the cathedral by Pope Alexander IV in 1256 (Vet. Mon. no.clxxxii; Mor. Reg. no.75). The church, which was dedicated to St Madidus, and frequently referred to as such, continued to be annexed, although by the 16th c. the parish was known as Urray, the cure then being a vicarage perpetual (CPL ix, 426, 445 - at both these refs. church called ‘the parish church of St Madidus) etc., cited OPS ii pt 2, 519)’. Cowan 1967, 206 (under Urray). This parish, now united with Kilchrist (Tarradale) .. includes also a davach of land in Strathconan, distant about 10 miles from the rest of the parish’ OPS ii pt 2, 518. ‘The church, apparently built c.1780, stands near the confluence of the Conan & the Orrin (styled by Blaeu Avon Forbarin), but, from the frequent shifting of the bed of the latter, probably not on the original site’ OPS ii pt 2, 519. This accounts for the alternative name ‘Inverferin’ etc. - ‘mouth of the Orrin’. IMPORTANT PASSAGE IN WATSON 1926, 472-3: ‘On a hillock among the woods of Conanhouse, at one time an island in the river, are a ruined chapel and cemetery’. OPS ii pt 2, 519 - see refs. for ‘curious local tradition’ connected with this chapel ibid. note 5. [At the Reformation the rental of the parsonage of Vrray was as follows:the teinds of Brain, Kingis Vrray, Arckyne, Estir Farbrowne, Andirquhenren, Killquhilliedrum, & Mekill Moy. OPS ii pt 2, 519. In 1528 James V granted to Walter Innes of Towchis the lands of Culcragy & Kirkfarbarne ROS, and annexed them to the tenandry of Culmaloquhy. See RMS (quoted OPS etc. 520. In 1538 the king granted to Walter Innes for 5 years the lands of Fairburnegleis, Ord & the mill and alehouse of Kilquhilladrum. RSS - quoted OPS etc. 520. - see also docs/elements/miscell/eaglais - 11.97] In 1891 URY lost two portions of its old area, while gaining a detached part of Kilmorack, as well as part of Contin (URY CON) & Fodderty (URY FOD). From URY to CON: Aultdearg (house & grazings) - see Shennan 1892, 135 (CON URY). From URY ROS to Kilmorack KLO INV: Barnyards, Tomich (farm, part) & part of Highland Railway Line between Beauly & Muir of Ord - see Shennan 1892, 150 (KLO URY). From Kilmorack KLO INV to URY ROS: Ardnagrask, Moor of Lettoch, Muir of Ord (House and land, as well as Temperance Coffee House!), other parts of Muir of Ord, including hotel and station, and Tomich & Lettoch, Windmill - see Shennan 1892, 133 (URY KLO). From CON & FOD to URY: Strathconan (moor, forest and grazings - part) - see Shennan 1892, 137 (URY CON & URY FOD).