Urr, parish, aka Colmonell KCB

Grid reference

NX 825 697 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

282500 569700

Latitude

55.00789657247208

Longitude

-3.837486790693784

Nearby places

St Constantine's Church, Urr (0 miles)

Kirkbride (Blaiket) former parish, Urr (1.7 miles)

Kirkbride, eccles., Kirkbride, Urr (1.7 miles)

Garmartin, settlement, Urr (2.1 miles)

St Patrick's Well, Kirkpatrick Durham (2.28 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The NGR given is for St Constantine's Church, alias Kirkconstantin, which became the parish kirk of this parish in the early thirteenth century (see Holyrood Liber nos. 67 & 70).

Parish details

Urr formerly a chapel of Colmonell CMX. It contains Kirkbride aka Blaiket XKD.

Parish TLA

URR

County

Kirkcudbrightshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

The church, dedicated to St Constantine, was in origin a chapel of Colmonell (CMX). Both were granted to Holyrood by Uchtred of Galloway 1160 x 1174, and the grant was confirmed by Bp. Engelram of Glasgow (1164x74). Holyrood Lib. nos. 23, 52. By the 13th c. the chapel had replaced Colmonell as the parish kirk and was now known as Kirkconstantine (Kirconstintyn). As such it was confirmed to Holyrood by members of the Balliol family, and to the uses of the abbey by William bp. of Glasgow in 1250, faculty being given to serve the church by the canons (ibid. nos. 70-1, 80-1). The parsonage remained with the abbey at the Reformation, while the vicarage continued to be served by the canons (Cowan 1967, 205-6). So we have the shifting of the parish centre from Colmonell (=? chapel by Glen of Spottes) to what was originally a chapel of Colmonell, Kirkconstantine, which later in turn became known as Urr. Urr URR also seems to include at least part of the medieval parish of Kirkbride XKD aka Blaiket (sic Atlas, 351). cf OS Blaiket Mains NX82 67. No changes noted in Shennan 1892.