Tyrie, parish

Grid reference

NJ 930 631 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

393000 863100

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Relationships with other places

Contains Ladysford, settlement, Tyrie

Contains Ladysford, settlement, Tyrie

Contains Mary's Valley, settlement, Tyrie

Parish TLA

TYR

County

Aberdeenshire

Medieval diocese

Aberdeen

Parish notes

The church appears as a vicarage in Bag., in which the then vicar appears as responsible for the taxation of the whole church, it seeming apparent from this that an early appropriation had been commuted in some way, possibly, as in parallel cases, for a small annual pension (cf Abbotrule). Thereafter the church seems to have resumed the status of an independent parsonage, the patronage of which in the mid-15th c. pertained to the earls of Douglas, passing upon their forfeiture to the crown, who retained it at the Reformation. See Cowan 1967, 203 for more details and refs.. A-B Coll. 449 for St Andrew dedication (from Boece): 'templum Diui Andreae'. Poss. also known as the White Kirk of Buchan (ibid. 449-50). Not mentioned in Shennan 1892.