Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
Lady Well, Auchterhouse
NO 340 385 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
St Mary's Church, Auchterhouse (0.28 miles)
Auchterhouse, parish (0.28 miles)
Maryfield, Mains & Strathmartine (2.64 miles)
St Martin's Church, Mains & Strathmartine (3.12 miles)
Strathmartine, former parish, Mains & Strathmartine (3.12 miles)
Is linear feature?
Our informant, Paul Hornby, recorded the name from 'Auchterhouse Old and New An Historical and Social Record' by Rev Kirkland Cameron & Oliphant Valentine, published by David Winter & Son, Dundee, 1932, and visited it and photographed it in 2017. He added, 'The site of the Lady Well, Kirkton of Auchterhouse, west of Dundee, place of pilgrimage for women with young children, who would leave offerings by the Well housing (the housing may be still there under the jungle of thistles, nettles and brambles! - a winter visit is planned.). The healing waters were good for eye complaints.'