Tarland, parish

Grid reference

NJ 481 043 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

348100 804300

Latitude

57.1268725392748

Longitude

-2.857366638991842

Nearby places

Church of St Mo Luag, Tarland (0 miles)

St Margaret's, settlement, Logie-C'stone (0.78 miles)

Tillyhermack, settlement Coull (1.43 miles)

St John's Well, Logie-Coldstone (1.55 miles)

St John's Well, settlement, LOC (1.55 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

Close to the western boundary of its parish, the parish being shown as Tarland & Migvie on OS 6 inch 1st edn.

Relationships with other places

Contains Church of St Mo Luag, Tarland

Contains Church of St Mo Luag, Tarland

Contains Rock Ernan, Strathdon

OS 6 inch 1st edn shows it in a detached part of Tarland & Migvie parish.

Parish details

The parish of Migvie was annexed to Tarland in the seventeenth century, whereafter the parish was sometimes known as Tarland & Migvie; much of Migvie parish (including the kirk) were in 1891 transferred to Logie-Coldstone.

Parish TLA

TLD

County

Aberdeenshire

Medieval diocese

Aberdeen

Parish notes

The church of Tarland was granted to the priory of St Andrews by Morgrund earl of Mar (1165x71). See Cowan 1967, 195. The parish of Migvie was annexed to Tarland in the seventeenth century, whereafter the parish was sometimes known as Tarland & Migvie; much of Migvie parish (including the kirk) were in 1891 transferred to Logie-Coldstone, though some parts were allocated to Strathdon STD, after which Tarland and Migvie became known simply as Tarland. For more on MVX, see LOC. See Shennan 1892, 181-85, esp. 182-3.