Stevenston, parish

Grid reference

NS 266 421 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

226600 642100

Latitude

55.64146709707435

Longitude

-4.755483379630912

Nearby places

St Monk's Church, Stevenston (0 miles)

St Winnings Well, Kilwinning (2.06 miles)

Ardrossan, parish (2.11 miles)

Kilwinning, parish (2.39 miles)

Kilwinning, eccles. Kilwinning (2.39 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for Stevenston Parish Church, sixteenth century, possibly on the site of an earlier building. Rebuilt c. 1670 (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains St Monk's Church, Stevenston

Contains St Monk's Church, Stevenston

Parish details

Stevenson

Parish TLA

STV

County

Ayrshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

First mentioned as a church c.1207, the parsonage was annexed to Kilwinning Abbey at the Reformation, this having been the case from at least the early 15th c, the cure then being a vicarage perpetual. The patronage of the church may have been granted to the abbey in the late 12th c, when the de Morvilles granted lands in the parish to Steven son of Richard, but of this there is no proof (Chalmers, Caledonia vi, 546). See Cowan 1967, 187 for more details and references.