St Fergus, parish (aka Longley, Inverugie)

Grid reference

NK 115 507 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

411500 850700





Nearby places

St Fergus's Church, St Fergus (0 miles)

St Fergus Links, St Fergus (0.53 miles)

St Fergus, settlement, St Fergus (1.55 miles)

Peterhead, parish (2.98 miles)

St Peter's Church, Peterhead (2.98 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



This is the site of the original parish kirk at Inverugie, replaced in 1616 by a new kirk at NK093519. Aberdeen Breviary records the story of Fergus's wandering, and includes the statement that he came to Longley (Lungley).

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Fetterangus, former parish, Old Deer (formerly)

Parish details

St Fergus formerly Longley or Inverugie

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

St Fergus (STF) - originally called Longley or Inverugie. In BNF (detached) till 1891. The earliest mention of St Fergus is 1732. The name Longley died out in 19th c. (Alexander 1952, 119). Cowan 1967, 139 under Longley adds: ‘The name Longley had been adopted by the mid 15th c., although it also appears as such in Bag. Roll.’ See ibid. for more references. It formerly included FETTERANGUS