Sorbie, parish

Grid reference

NX 438 467 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

243800 546700

Latitude

54.79073543823182

Longitude

-4.429677641008605

Nearby places

Sorbie St Michael, former parish, Sorbie (1.3 miles)

St Michael's Church, SMX Sorbie (1.3 miles)

Kilfillan Hill, Sorbie (1.67 miles)

St John's Croft, settlement, Sorbie (1.72 miles)

St Fillan's Church, Kilfillan SFX, Sorbie (1.92 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the modern church in Sorbie Village, Sorbie Old Kirk.

Parish details

Sorbie including Sorbie St Fillan SFX; Sorbie St Michael SMX (annexed c.1240); Cruggleton CGX and Kirkmadrine/Eggerness ENX, united 1635.

Parish TLA

SOR

County

Wigtownshire

Parish notes

The barony of Sorbie having been divided on the death, or during the lifetime of Sir Ivo de Veteripont (Vieuxpont) c.1200, the barony of Little Sorbie and its church of St Michael SMX, passed to Ivo’s younger son, Alan de V., whose own son Robert granted the church to Dryburgh c.1220 (Dryburgh Liber no.71-73). This grant having been confirmed to the uses of the abbey by the prior and chapter of Whithorn c.1220, the church was annexed to the church of Great Sorbie c.1240, as each was unable to support a vicar, the history of the two churches then becoming one. Dryburgh Lib. nos. 74, 82-3. Great Sorbie or Sorbie St Fillan SFX, also called *Kirkfillan: granted to Dryburgh Abbey as Sorbie Major by Sir Ivo de Veteripont, during the lifetime of Roland prince of Galloway, his overlord c.1185, this grant was confirmed by John bp. of Galloway c.1200, to become effective on the death of the then incumbent (Dryburgh Lib. nos. 75-80). Little Sorbie SMX also having been granted to Dryburgh c.1200, the two churches were annexed c.1240, as each was unable to support a vicar (Dryburgh Lib. nos. 74, 82-3). The churches continued with Dryburgh until 1282, when the prior and convent of Whithorn agreed to pay Dryburgh 20 merks for the fruits and dues of the churches of Sorbie and Kirkfolan (Dryb. Lib. no.238). The united church thenceforward pertained to the priory of Whithorn, as it did at the Reformation, the parsonage revenues being thus annexed, while the cure was served by a vicar perpetual. RSS v no. 3270, etc.. Cowan 1967, 184-5. The churches continued with Dryburgh until 1282, when the prior and convent of Whithorn agreed to pay Dryburgh 20 merks for the fruits and dues of the churches of Sorbie and Kirkfolan (Dryb. Lib. no.238). The united church thenceforward pertained to the priory of Whithorn, as it did at the Reformation, the parsonage revenues being thus annexed, while the cure was served by a vicar perpetual. RSS v no.3270, etc.. Cowan 1967, 184-5. See also CSSR iii, 177 (1431), when the church of Sourby is listed as one of the possessions of the priory of Whithorn. The parishes of Cruggleton CGX, Eggerness/Kirkmadrine ENX and Sorbie were united in 1635. See note at RRS ii no. 293. No changes mentioned to parishes of Sorbie or adjacent Whithorn WHT WIG in Shennan 1892.