South Leith, modern parish

Grid reference

NT 270 760 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

327000 676000

Latitude

55.971484316133655

Longitude

-3.1697581177272354

Nearby places

St Mary's Church, South Leith (0 miles)

St Anthony's Hospital/Friary, Leith (0.06 miles)

St Ninian's Chapel, North Leith (0.36 miles)

St Nicholas Chapel, North Leith (0.45 miles)

North Leith, modern parish (0.58 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for the parish kirk, originally a chapel attached to Restalrig. NMRS records: 'originnally cruciform, it had been reduced to its nave by 1559.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Restalrig, former parish, Edinburgh St Giles (formerly)

Parish details

See Leith

Parish TLA

SOL

County

Midlothian

Parish notes

Originally in the large medieval parish of Restalrig, until 1561, when the first General Assembly ordained that the Kirk of R. should be unroofed and demolished, and the parishioners be directed to Leith. See J. S. Marshall 'The Birth of a Parish Church' RSCHS 21 (1981), 67-77. Note, however, that it was already being referred to as a 'church' in 1556 (RMS iv no. 1134).