St Monans, parish, formerly Abercrombie

Grid reference

NO 522 014 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

352200 701400

Latitude

56.20286867294813

Longitude

-2.7705452744631245

Nearby places

St Monan's Cell, St Monans (0.06 miles)

St Monan's Chapel, St Monans (0.09 miles)

Mary Magdalen's Well, Pittenweem (1.18 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, Pittenweem (1.77 miles)

St Fillan's Well, Pittenweem (1.81 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

The NGR given is for St Monans Kirk. The old Abercrombie kirk stands at NO521034.

Relationships with other places

Contains St Monan's Cell, St Monans

Contains St Monan's Chapel, St Monans

Parish details

St Monans, formerly Abercrombie.

Parish TLA

SMS

County

Fife

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

It was not until 1647 that the better known chapel or church of St Monans became part of the earlier parish of Abercrombie, after which the parish was known for a time as Abercrombie and St Monans. Before this St Monan's kirk had lain in Kilconquhar KCQ. After 1647 St Monans kirk took over from Abercrombie kirk (whose medieval ruins are still extant on Balcaskie estate) as the parish kirk.