Slamannan, parish, aka St Laurence

Grid reference

NS 856 733 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

285600 673300

Latitude

55.93915771987559

Longitude

-3.831696870434087

Nearby places

St Laurence's Church, Slamannan (0 miles)

St Lawrence Cottage, Slamannan (0.14 miles)

St Laurence's Well, Slamannan (0.14 miles)

High St Laurence Well, Slamannan (0.14 miles)

Catrin Burn, Falkirk (1.69 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for church built in 1810, presumed to be on the site of the medieval church.

Parish TLA

SLM

County

Stirlingshire

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

An independent parsonage in Bag. (p.56), the church remained unappropriated at the Reformation, it then lying within the patronage of Sandilands of Calder and Cunningham of Polmaise (RMS iv nos. 867, 1078, 1382, 1461; Prot. Bk. Johnsoun, nos. 121, 222). Cowan 1967, 184. In middle ages the parish of Slamannan SLM lay entirely south of the River Avon (see maps in Reid 1993, 80 & 82). In 1725 the lands of Easter and Wester Jaw, Elrig and Croftandy (both pertaining to Abbotskerse, the bulk of which had gone to make up the new parish of Polmont or Grangemouth GRM created in the same year) west of Muiravonside and north of the Avon, were annexed to Slamannan SLM (Reid 1993, 81, 87 - see also map ibid., 86). Not mentioned in Shennan 1892.