Sorbie St Fillan, Sorbie WIG

Grid reference

NX 469 466 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

246900 546600







Nearby places

St Fillan's Church, Kilfillan SFX, Sorbie (0 miles)

Kilfillan Hill, Sorbie (0.25 miles)

Kilfillan Burn, Sorbie (0.45 miles)

Kirkmadrine, former parish, Sorbie (1.06 miles)

Kirkmadrine, eccles., Kirkmadrine, Sorbie (1.06 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



NGR given for St Fillan's Church, Great Sorbie/ There were no remains of the building by the mid-nineteenth century, and no traces on the ground now (NMRS).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Sorbie, parish

Parish details

Sorbie St Fillan united with Sorbie St Michael SMX c.1240; united with Cruggleton CGX and Kirkmadrine/Eggerness ENX in 1635. All now Sorbie SOR.

Parish TLA


Medieval diocese


Parish notes

Great Sorbie or Sorbie St Fillan SFX, also called *Kirkfillan: granted to Dryburgh Abbey as Sorbie Major by Sir Ivo de Veteripont, during the lifetime of Roland prince of Galloway, his overlord c.1185, this grant was confirmed by John bp. of Galloway c.1200, to become effective on the death of the then incumbent (Dryburgh Lib. nos. 75-80). Little Sorbie SMX also having been granted to Dryburgh c.1200, the two churches were annexed c.1240, as each was unable to support a vicar (Dryburgh Lib. nos. 74, 82-3). See also Sorbie SOR. The churches continued with Dryburgh until 1282, when the prior and convent of Whithorn agreed to pay Dryburgh 20 merks for the fruits and dues of the churches of Sorbie and Kirkfolan (Dryb. Lib. no.238). The united church thenceforward pertained to the priory of Whithorn, as it did at the Reformation, the parsonage revenues being thus annexed, while the cure was served by a vicar perpetual. RSS v no.3270, etc.. Cowan 1967, 184-5. See also CSSR iii, 177 (1431), when the church of Sourby is listed as one of the possessions of the priory of Whithorn.