Selkirk (Abbatis), parish

Grid reference

NT 470 283 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

347000 628300

Latitude

55.54551803578822

Longitude

-2.840059042027702

County

Roxburghshire

Nearby places

Selkirk Regis, former parish, Selkirk (0.19 miles)

St Mungo's Well, Selkirk (0.31 miles)

Ladylands, settlement, Selkirk (0.4 miles)

St Helen's Loch, Selkirk (0.65 miles)

St Helens, settlement, Selkirk (1.58 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for Selkirk Old Parish Church. NMRS records (Canmore ID 54210) that the church was 'in a state of ruin at the beginning of the sixteenth century'.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Roberton, modern parish ROX

part of

Contains Selkirk Regis, former parish, Selkirk

Parish details

Selkirk formerly Selkirk Abbatis and including Selkirk Regis SEX

Parish TLA

SEL

County

Selkirkshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Selkirk Abbatis (aka Selkirk Monachorum) was a distinct parish from Selkirk Regis until at least circa 1300, but thereafter the two parishes are found to have merged, both being held by Kelso Abbey (Cowan 1967, 181). RRS ii no. 379 (1195) confirms to Kelso Abbey the two churches of Selkirk, 'Ecclesiam de Selechirc', Ecclesiam de alia Selchir'; it is not clear which of these two refers to which of the two kirks of Selkirk.