Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NT 630 091 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
Martinlee Sike, Southdean (1.48 miles)
Abbotrule, former parish (2.53 miles)
Abbotrule Church, eccl., Southdean (2.53 miles)
Lady's Well, Abbotrule, Southdean (2.72 miles)
Hobkirk, parish aka Roule (2.89 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
Is linear feature?
NGR is former parish church, on bank of Jed Water, later replaced (1690) by church at NT625106. See NMRS for the collapse of this building in 1688 and its excavation in 1910, revealing the remains of a thirteenth-century tower and nave.
Relationships with other parishes
Contains Abbotrule, former parish
Relationships with other places
Contains Abbotrule Church, eccl., Southdean
Contains Lady's Well, Abbotrule, Southdean
Contains Martinlee Sike, Southdean
Southdean incorporated half of parish of Abbotrule in 1777.
Names1 head-name linked to this place ?
Certainty that this name applies to this place
The status of this name is
Is this a current OS form? ?
Is this the original referent of the place?
Is the association of this name to this object hypothetical?