Eglesnamin, ~eccles., St Andrews & St Leonards

Grid reference

NO 493 156 (general (1km))

Six-figure easting & northing

349300 715600

Latitude

56.330147741622

Longitude

-2.82001297766512

Nearby places

Eglesnamin, settlement, St Andrews & St Leonards (0 miles)

St Mary's Church, Market Street SSL (1.02 miles)

St Mary's College, St Andrews & St Leonards (1.14 miles)

St Andrews & St Leonards, modern parish (1.17 miles)

Holy Trinity Church, St Andrews, SSL (1.17 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The existence of an ecclesiastical object of this name is inferred from the settlement-name Eglesnamin, which seems to be on or about Hallow Hill SSL, and whose name-forms go back at least to the twelfth century, but presumably (given that it appears to be a Pictish name) much earlier. The lands of Eglesnamin were part of the estate of St Andrews Priory, granted by Bishop Robert on its foundation in 1140. 'It consists of a piece of raised ground bounded on three sides by burns, the Kinness Burn on the north and the Cairnsmill Burn on the west and south-west. ... Excavations have revealed an early Christian long-cist cemetery on the site, which, along with the name itself, containing the early church-element *egles, indicates that this was one of the earliest, if not the earliest, focus for Christian worship in the area' (Taylor with Márkus iii, 467).

Relationships with other parishes

Within St Andrews & St Leonards, modern parish

Within St Andrews, former parish, SSL (formerly)

Relationships with other places

Related ? Eglesnamin, settlement, St Andrews & St Leonards