Rosemarkie, parish

Grid reference

NH 737 576 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

273700 857600

Latitude

57.59097069696956

Longitude

-4.113095536713336

Nearby places

Kincurdie, settlement, Rosemarkie (0.33 miles)

St Boniface Church, Fortrose, Rosemarkie (0.92 miles)

St Andrew's Church, episcopal, Rosemarkie (1.02 miles)

St Boniface's Well, Rosemarkie (1.1 miles)

Avoch, parish (2.68 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Parish details

Rosemarkie

Parish TLA

RSM

County

Ross-shire

Medieval diocese

Ross

Parish notes

The parsonage revenues, along with those of Cromarty, were quartered in 1256 between the dean, chanter, chancellor and treasurer of Ross, following upon the re-erection of the cathedral chapter (Vet. Mon. nos. lxxx, clxxxii). The sub-division continued at the Reformation, the cure being served by a vicar perpetual (Assumptions cited OPS ii (2), 567; RSS iii no.1564; iv no.245). The cathedral church which stood at the Chanonry, later styled Fortrose, was not parochial until after the Reformation, its teinds therefore falling to Rosemarkie (RSS xl, 106). Cowan 1967, 172. Not mentioned in Shennan 1892.